Welcome!

Hello and welcome to the NT English Team's blog! We'll keep you up to date with our publishing activity and any other English-related bits and bobs catching our interest!


Tuesday 27 April 2010

Quiz update and a parental dilemma

The performance of Bleak Expectations in the Nelson Thornes quiz was, mathematically speaking, distinctly average. Where literature coincided with the categories we did well. We were good on girl’s names, famous people and medicine (Becky S even knew that ‘Skelegro’ was used for regrowing bones in the Harry Potter books). We faltered on dogs (although Ali knew the dog in the Secret Seven books and Garfield’s doggish housemate), crime and, most woefully, presidents. Sadly ‘David Palmer’ was not the answer to any of the questions, so the team’s knowledge of ‘24’ didn’t come in that useful. And despite Emma’s persistent suggestions, it turned out that the Isle of Dogs is not in Walford, nor did a named succession of dogs play Roly. The winning team got lots more points than us, and it’s difficult to see how we could brush up on our general knowledge to compete because the categories were so random. How could we have predicted that there would be ten questions on feet?

A quick reminder about our fabulous and friendly new version of Under Milk Wood, which published last Monday (a week early!). I was the development editor on this project and enjoyed working with the authors to make sure the suggested English and drama activities are interesting and relevant. I love this play because of the musicality of the language. I was part of a stage performance when I was in Sixth Form, and even now reading through I can hear the words being said by good friends. My twin sister and I played the part of Lily Smalls, talking to herself in the mirror; “Oh there’s a face!” It’s always fun to work on a product that you can relate to and enjoy.

On a more personal level, I am currently facing the challenge of how to get a small child interested in books. I’m the proud owner of an eighteen month old boy, who loves to run around outside and ‘baaa’ at sheep and dig in the soil. His father doesn’t read for fun, his paternal grandparents (who live very close by and have an undue influence on him) do not read for fun. Therefore, it’s up to me. I feel I’ve risen to the challenge in that his bookshelf is packed with books that have bits to feel and move, make funny noises, and even a couple that include puppets. We go to the library every week and we choose books together before we join in the nursery rhymes singing session.

He’s started to talk and one of his first words was ‘book’, generally said whilst backing towards you and expecting to sit down on your knee. However, he has the attention span of a goldfish and we rarely get beyond ‘Once upon a time…’ unless he’s in his cot for the bedtime story. I encourage him by stopping what I’m doing if he wants to look at books and by making it as fun as possible. I know the odds are against me on this one, but I will be upset if when he sits his GCSE English Literature exam he hasn’t even read the books.


I wonder if the use of IT in teaching English will encourage boys, traditionally the more reluctant readers, to engage with the texts? What do you think? In Kerboodle! we’ve got some amazing resources to go with the GCSE English Literature set texts. They help students to really think about and analyse what they’ve read, and to form and justify their opinions. They encourage a far deeper understanding of the text than I ever had at school, and I was a swot in English. The potential of e-resources to bring language and literature to life is enormous and we’re only just beginning to play with what can be done – but we have lots of ideas so watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment